- There are diaper services in the Washington DC area that provide diaper rental and laundry service, so you don’t need to purchase a stash of diapers or use your own washing machine. Even if you use a service, you will need some equipment at home (possibly provided as part of your service contract) -- a bag or bin for dirties and likely a diaper sprayer (like this one).
- Laundering your diapers at home will require 3-4 additional loads of laundry a week, on average. You will also need a specialized bin or wet bag to hold dirties, a diaper sprayer (as linked above), and a detergent that is appropriate for diapers. Some families switch to a detergent for all laundry that can also be used on diapers, like Charlie’s Soap.
- You can NOT use most diaper rash creams with cloth diapers; the creams will stop your diaper from absorbing. On the other hand, many parents find their babies experience fewer rashes wearing cloth diapers.
- If you want to compare diapers in person, you can request a demo from a diaper service (such as www.2theroot.com) or visit a retailer in our area. We can also put you in touch with a specialist who will come to your home to discuss options with you if you prefer. Just shoot us an email!
- You may prefer to try several types on your baby before committing to purchasing a whole stash. Certain styles or brands may work better on your baby’s body or you find them easier to use. A cost-conscious way to try different options is to purchase a few used diapers via craigslist or www.diaperswappers.com. Diapers can be sanitized easily, so rest assured this isn’t an inherently gross idea.
- The Internet has a million options for diapers. To get more background on types and options, try http://www.kellyscloset.com/Cloth-Diaper-Information_ep_34-1.html or check out the resources at http://alphamom.com/tag/cloth-diapers/.